Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Couch-to-5K: days 3 & 4

OOOPS. I hit enter, on that last one, instead of Tab.


Day 3 was supposed to be Sunday. Hubby was in Abilene, and was going
to do his running there, so I was on my own. When I first got up, I
wasn't going to go. I parked my butt in front of the computer
instead. But then when I was on Facebook, I saw the picture of my new
(expensive!) running shoes and felt guilty. So I went.


Plan: 5 minute warm up walk. Jogging 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, for
a total of 20 minutes.


Report: It didn't go so well. I started out with that little bit of
left knee pain again. Not very bad, just enough to make me jog with a
limp. This time I could not shake it. No matter how short I cut the
jogging and lengthened the walking, it wouldn't go away. After about
3 or 4 sets of trying to get it to stop, I gave up and just walked for
another 4 laps.


Hubby didn't do his running at all. Bad Hubby.


Monday morning we decided to try going in the evenings because getting
up at 5:30 am bites. But of course Monday night came and went without
going. Things just got in the way and next thing you know it was 9pm.


So I decided no matter how bad 5:30 sucks, that is just how it is
going to have to be.


This morning was day 4. Technically, we were supposed to move on to
week 2, day 1. I felt that since I didn't make much progress on
Sunday and Hubby didn't do it all, we needed a day 4. Thursday
morning will be the new plan.


Plan: same as before; 60 second jog, 90 second walk.


Report: I was right about doing a day 4. Even though my breathing
recovery has gotten much better, I think an increase in the jogging
might have been too much and would have put me off going again. But I
definitly think I will be ready for it on Thursday.


And I think I have solved the knee pain. I have been reading a few
running sites and blogs, and one tiny little change can make huge
differences. Like a different pair of socks, or lacing your shoes
differently or changing your form a little.


So I bought new ultra thin running socks.


Okay, that's not what helped. I think it was my form. I paid close
attention to how I was holding my body. I made sure I was more
upright, I raised my knees a tad bit higher, and lengthened my stride
a hair. I would get a couple of pain jabs with the first couple of
steps, then I would "adjust" and voila, no more knee pain.


It was nice out this morning too. A nice bit of wind was blowing.
Well, it was nice on the one side of the track, when it was at my
back. On the other side, when I was trying to run into the wind, it
was a bitch. It slowed me down noticeably. I felt like Marcel
Marceau doing his Walking Against the Wind bit.


I still didn't hate it. Especially since I lost 5 lbs in one week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Girl!! You will find out that you have never exercised your lungs before on a regular basis, and that they will be able to do unbelievable things within a year. Maybe even Mountain climbing.....


The weight loss is a nice bonus too!!
Can we keep Surly Teenager?? She has been an absolute JEWEL !!!!

Hang in there ~ Don