Sunday, August 23, 2009

I've Got A New Toy

I believe I have mentioned how much I like STUFF.

I had been going back and forth about this for a while.  Talked to Hubby about it, because it isn't cheap.  Did a lot of online research.

I finally decided this weekend that yes, yes I really want one.

I've got a bodybugg!  They wear them on the show The Biggest Loser.  It is a "personal calorie management system".   You wear the armband part on your tricep, like so (pls excuse the unmade bed in the background) (and notice my fancy fingers on the camera, I got my first french manicure yesterday):


It electronically reads "things" - I don't remember exactly and I would have to go get the book or look it up; if you want to know that badly Google it - and determines you caloric burn.  It also counts your steps and times your activities.  Then you hook it up to the computer and it downloads all the info to their site.  On the site you track your goals, what you eat, and some other info.  It calculates the number of calories you burn, calories you eat, and gives you the difference, a calorie deficit.  You set a goal, it figures out what calorie deficit you need to meet on a daily basis to reach your goal.

The second box is the optional display.  It "talks" to the armband and displays were you are at, so you can monitor during the day if you need to ramp up your activity to meet your targets for the day.

I wore both this morning while jogging.  

I looked at it before I started, and then purposefully did not look at it again until I had jogged 1 mile.  I knew it would be lower than I liked.  I knew I would go "is that ALL".  And I was right, I did.  But I just kept jogging and told myself that I would just not look at it again until I was done.  And that I would walk some more later this afternoon to increase my burn.

But then I got curious as to how much it changes with more intensity.  I don't jog fast, as I believe I have said before.  So I looked at it, and then went quite a bit faster for a while, looked down and, yes, it increased at a faster rate than just the jogging.  I slowed back down, and thought oh, well.  I'll work up to that level eventually, and just kept jogging.

I had just started my 8th lap - that's 2 miles ladies and gentlemen - when I hear beep, beep, beep, beep.  I look down at my display and it says "MSG!!".  So I press a button and this scrolls across the screen:  "Activity target for the day has been met".  I flipped back to the calories burned and it was much higher now.  I had forgotten.  It "talks" to the armband, but not instantaneously, there is a lag.  And it had caught up.

How cool is that!!

Anything else I do today is BONUS and will offset yesterday, because I didn't do anything.

I think I am going to like my bodybugg.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joanne, that is a nice toy, but what impresses me is the TWO MILES!!!!!

Hang in there - you are both getting in shape, and whether you know it or not, turning back the hands of time!!!!
~ Don