Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Requested Story - Part 1

How did I meet my husband?  I met him on the internet.

These days, that statement doesn’t usually get “the look” that it used to get. You know “the look”, that kind of judgmental look that says “OH REALLY”.  6 years ago, when we first met, I’d get “the look” more times than not.  I have even been known to give “the look” myself.  But personal ads and such have gotten so much more common place, I haven’t seen “the look” in a while.

I don’t exactly remember placing a personal ad online. Seemingly out of the blue one day, I get an email from someone saying he saw my ad, that I would probably think he was too young, but I could email him if I wanted to.  Hmmm.  I followed the link to the web site and read his ad.  Hmmm.  Then I went to the sites main login page, put in the username I always use, and the password I always use.  Imagine my surprise when it logged me in.  I pulled up my ad and read what it said.  Going by the age I had listed, I had posted it about 10 months earlier.  I had a vague recollection of being on the computer one night with a pack of wine coolers sitting next to me.  That must have been it.  I went to several other places and tried logging in to see what else I had done.  I found 2 others, which I promptly deleted.  It probably wasn’t really necessary, seeing as how I hadn’t gotten any response to them. 

I couldn’t decide if I should be relieved or insulted.

So I went back to the email from the guy.  I thought, nah, I’m happy.  I’m not interested.  Delete.

A few minutes later, I put it back in my inbox and went and read his add again.  Hmmm.  He liked to do a lot of the same things I liked.  Nah.  It would be too much trouble, I don’t want to meet someone new.  Chances are it wouldn’t work out and would be a waste of time.  Delete.

Then I put it back in the inbox again.  Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to at least email him.  Maybe we could go to a movie or dinner or something.  I haven’t been out with anyone in forever.  What could it hurt?  A lot, it could hurt a lot.  I was ok with where I was in my life and was ok with raising my kids alone and just being happy by myself.  Relationships are just too much trouble and usually not worth the effort, and I have a history of bad judgment.  Besides, once I had to send him a picture of me, he wouldn’t be interested anymore.  Delete.

Ok, fine.  FINE.  I put it back in the inbox again.  I’ll email him.  I will tell him about my kids and that I am 11 years older than him.  That should be enough to never hear from him again.  FINE.

So I took a deep breath and clicked reply instead of delete. 

To be continued…..

1 comment:

~Gretchen~ said...

I am quite familiar with The Look. I have gave to your hubby many times when I heard he had an older woman with two kids that he met over the interwebz. (and the aunt. lots of Looks for the aunt.)

it was interesting to read the story from your perspective.

you guys really have been great for each other.

but in the beginning, i was quite familiar with The Look