Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CHL

That is Concealed Handgun License for those of you not in the know.

My hubby has had one for several years.  He has tried to get me to get mine many times.  I always said no, maybe later.  My main excuse was that it is against Company Policy to carry at work.  It is not illegal - they don't have the legal signs posted at all doorways - but it is against their Policy.  And as much as I hate my job, I like having a job, so I tend to follow Company Policy.  More or less.  Plus hubby is almost always armed.  And usually with more than one gun.  So if it ever actually came down to a Mr and Mrs Smith, our backs against the wall, type situation, he could toss me one of his spares to use.  (That's a Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie movie reference by the way.)

I think my real problem with getting a CHL though, was I didn't think I really had it in me to point a loaded gun at someone.  That is one of the main Gun Safety Rules: never point a gun at something unless you are planning on shooting it.  Right behind: treat every gun as if it is loaded.  

I have never been in a crisis situation.  I didn't know how I would be.  Would I be one of those people who get all helpless and can't do anything but cry?  I always liked to think not, but you don't really know.  Until you know.

And now I know.

If I feel threatened or someone in my family is threatened I am perfectly capable of pointing a loaded gun at someone.  And while I would always hope to not have to actually pull the trigger, I would do it if I had to.

Does that make me a BAD ASS too?

No comments: