Thursday, June 5, 2008

Visiting Down Memory Lane

I am in Ohio visiting a friend.

I have also visited: the park where we used to hang out, the best sausage and onion pizza place EVER so we could eat in said park, the Custard Stand behind the elementary school (which is actually named The Dairy Freeze and not The Custard Stand, even though that is what we ALWAYS called it), the elementary school to look for the time capsule our 5th grade class made, the elementary school's office to inquire about the time capsule because we couldn't find the plaque and it turns out they LOST it and nobody can find it or knows if it was dug up or stolen or what, around my old neighborhood to look at the house I grew up in and I did manage to resist the urge to go knock on the door and ask for a tour because the outside looks so totally different I can't imagine what the inside looks like, and the cemetary.

At the cemetary I visited my Grandma and Grandpa Ballou, cousin Chuckie, (great) Aunt Sis, Grandma and Grandpa Page and my dad and step-mom. Thankfully they are all in the same cemetary.

I found everyone without too much walking around. I remember a time I spent a good hour or so wandering around looking for Aunt Sis. Right section, just not far enough back.

My dad died in 1996, my step mom in 1998 (I think). I was distressed when I first saw my dad's grave and the new looking heap of dirt below it. I could not believe that someone (my half brother?, his daughter?, a step someone?) had died and was burried in the same plot. Then I finally noticed the next marker back had 2008 date. Apparently the markers are at the foot of the grave and not the head.

But you know what else? There was no plaque on my step-mom's side. You know the little plaque that has the first name and dates of birth and death? My dad's was there because my step-mom made sure he got one. Her's wasn't there becuase apparently her family never bought her one. Can you believe it? Her family wouldn't pay for a marker for her grave. How sad is that? I went by the office and got the information to see how much they cost. $425. So ten years ago, maybe $300-$350. How could they not do that for their own mother?

I just don't get some people.

No comments: