Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's Family Reunion Time Again

My husband’s family has a Family Reunion every year.  In his immediate family it is just him and his sister, but his parents both come from large families.  Aunts and uncles and cousins galore!

It was very daunting the first year I went.  After all, there is only one of me for them to remember, but I had to try and remember all of them.  I made sure and took lots of pictures, and spent a lot of time looking at them going “now who was this again and how are they related”?  Everyone was so nice too.  They all made my girls and I feel welcome and part of the family from the very first.

For the last 6 years it has been at my in-laws house.  It has also at times been in Oregon, and one year it was at a camp ground.

It is an all weekend event, with scores of people coming and going, some staying the night – like we do.  On Sunday there is an official family meeting were they go over any significant news, births, deaths and a vote for the next year’s reunion. Then pictures are taken of the different family groups.

And there is always a ton food.  People bring food to contribute to the spread, but still.  I am in awe of my mother in law, housing and feeding THAT many people for the whole weekend, and without hardly batting an eye or breaking a sweat. It is the same way at the holidays too.  I couldn’t do it, even if I had a house big enough to accommodate everyone.  I would be a wreck having that many people in my house, with them all coming and going and eating.

My poor husband – he has to put up with my nutty mother. I definitely got the better end of the in laws deal.  

No comments: