Saturday, October 26, 2013

Complaint Of The Day

Gripes #65385987 and 65385988

A two-fer!

First:  Customer service people who do not know what they are doing are the bane of my existence.

My husband lost his wallet a few weeks ago.  And there begins the fun.

Because what happens when you lose your wallet?  You lose your driver license, your CHL, 3 bank cards, and one check.

Oh, and cash.  All $15 of it.

As soon as it was noticed to be missing, we immediately went back to the last positively known location.

The movie theater.  He bought the popcorn because I didn't take my regular purse, just my 'movie purse' (nice and big and empty and perfect for sneaking in bottles of PowerAde Zero and popcorn seasoning and dental floss).

After checking the row where we had been seated and then checking with the office to see if anyone had turned it in, I started the phone calls and the monitoring of the accounts.

Now this occurred on a Saturday night.  I couldn't go to or call my credit union directly because they weren't open.  So I called the little 1-800 number on the back of the card and talked to the company the credit union hires to be oh so helpful in these situations.

I guess I should interject here that this is not the first time we had to go through this.  He lost his wallet one other time.  And THAT experience wasn't much better than this one.  So I was marginally prepared for incompetence.

We have 2 accounts at the credit union.  I am primary on one; he is primary on the other.  We both have a Visa debit card for each account.  That's 2 accounts and 4 cards.

I took great pains to explain to the customer service chick that 2 of the cards, the ones issued to ME were fine and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put a stop on all the cards, only the ones issued to him.  (Guess what the problem was the first time he lost his wallet.  Yes.  They put a stop on all the cards.)

While looking at the account he is primary on, she assured me she only stopped his card.  The problem came when she looked at my account.  She kept saying that she couldn't see a card with his name on it. I assured her several times that yes, I was absolutely positive that he had a card on that account too.  She kept saying she was afraid to do a stop because she thought it would be on mine because she couldn't see his.  I finally gave up and said just do it.  Stop all the cards you see on that account.

Better safe than sorry.  And I planned on going to the credit union in person first thing Monday morning.

Which I did.  They looked it up and confirmed that HIS cards, both of them, had been stopped and my cards, both of them, were fine.  Yay.

But they couldn't tell me if new cards had been ordered.  Different company and all that.  The only way to tell was to wait and see if they came in.  7-10 days.  Sigh.

But at least my cards were ok.  So we juggled somethings around and I gave him one of my cards to use, so we would each have one.

2 weeks go by and nothing shows up in the mail.

The next Monday I stopped at one of the credit union branches, not the usual one I deal with, and explained the situation.  So she puts in an order for 2 new cards.

Then Wednesday, I use my card to buy something at the cafeteria.  Or I should say, I TRY to use my card to buy something at the cafeteria.  It was DENIED.  Me=NOT HAPPY.  I knew instantly what was wrong.

I go to the credit union branch in the building and tried the ATM.  DENIED.  I go in and tell them my cards not working and explain the whole situation.  They look it up and yes, my card was stopped when they ordered the new cards.  But just the one; the one my husband had was still good.  And, of course, they couldn't 'unstop' it.  They gave me a number to call and see what they could do.

I call the stupid number and, once AGAIN, explain the whole situation.  The only way they could restore my card was if I submitted a signed statement that the card was stopped in error and all the charges made on the card were valid and would not be disputed.  Then fax it and MAYBE they could fix it.

They fixed it and all is well.  We are still waiting on the replacement cards though.

I don't understand why this process is so difficult.  You stop the card(s) associated with the given name.  All other cards, YOU LEAVE ALONE.  When you stop a card, YOU ISSUE A NEW ONE.  Right then.  And you DO NOT stop the card(s) associated with a different name when you issue the new ones.

It's not rocket science people.

My other complaint….dishonest people.

If the jerks who picked up the dropped wallet had turned it in, NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN NECESSARY.

Take the cash if you must.  But turn in the wallet.  Replacing the cards and everything else that people carry in their wallets, is a major pain in the ass.

$15.  I hope they really enjoyed that $15.


No comments: