Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nobody Tells Me Anything

I know for a FACT that they don't require an appointment for immunizations.

I called when Surly Teenager needed to get some something or other for school. They said, no appointment necessary, just be sure to come in the afternoon. And she did. No problems.

So I go to the doctor's office at 1 pm (that's "in the afternoon") and tell them I need to get some immunizations. The lady at the reception desk says, Oh, we only do those from 2-4:30.

FINE.

I go back to the doctor's office at 2:15. I tell the lady at the reception desk that I need to get some immunizations. She looks at me for minute than asks if I have an appointment.

I say no, I thought for immunizations that you didn't need an appointment.

She asks, well have I talked to the nurse about it?

I need to talk to the nurse? Why do I need to talk to the nurse? They are immunizations for school, I'm going to school in the spring and I need some immunizations. No one ever said I needed to talk to the nurse first.

The reception lady looks up my chart, pulls it, and goes to talk to the nurse.

After about 10 minutes of standing there, trying not to get all bent out of shape, she comes back.

She says I need an appointment so I can talk to the nurse. Then she starts looking up appointments for me.

So I have not only wasted several hours off of work this afternoon, I now also have to waste several MORE hours off of work tomorrow.

Apparently you have to consult with the nurse when you make the decision to return to school.

Who knew.

No comments: