Friday, July 30, 2010

Ouch

I'm still alive.

The surgery got started a lot later in the day than I was originally scheduled for. Then it took longer than he thought it would due to a lot of scar tissue. Due to both issues, they just admitted me and kept me overnight.

Then since I was already there they kept me for a barium swallow test. Can you say yummy? Blech. Nastiest stuff I have EVER tasted.

Then they kept me some more just to make sure I was able to drink enough to stay hydrated. It was tough, because the surgery has made me feel all bloated and full, but I finally managed enough for them to declare me dischargeable. I got home late Wednesday afternoon.

I spent the rest of Wednesday and most of Thursday in a fog of pain and nausea. Headache pain. Not surgery pain. It wasn't until late Thursday when I was sitting on the couch, rocking back and forth, crying and moaning and holding my head to keep it from splitting open and having my brains run down my neck, that I happen to notice the bottle of nausea medicine. "May Cause Headaches".

I was so mad I threw it across the room.

The source of all my misery, and I was doing it to myself. I was religiously taking the nausea medicine because throwing up with a lap band is bad. Throwing up with a brand new lap band is worse.

Once that last dose finally wore off, I woke up from a nap and actually felt decent. I just lay there not moving, afraid if I moved I would spoil the feeling. Then I figured I better take advantage of it while it lasted and got some soup and some liquid protein in me.

I took my pain medicine around 11 and went to bed and slept through until 9 am this morning!

This morning is the first time I feel fairly normal. The surgery pain isn't too bad, but it is a lot worse than the first time. I don't know if that is due to the hiatal hernia repair part of it, or because of all the scar tissue he had to cut through or what, but OUCH.

No comments: