Friday, May 22, 2009

RANT: Customer Service

Case #1: Enrolling Surly Teenager
Surly Teenager was released from the outpatient transitional program
she was attending. It was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but her
new doctor that will be managing her medicines had a last minute
appointment available on Tuesday morning, and for insurance reason,
she had to be released before she could keep that appointment. So
they moved her discharge date to Monday, but kept the scheduled
meeting for the paperwork, on late Tuesday afternoon.


After her Tuesday morning appointment we go by her high school. I
wanted to get started on her re-enrollment. I wanted to fill out the
forms, give copies of everything, get her schedule straight, all that
could be done, except for the final signing off on everything, because
I wouldn't have the discharge papers until late that afternoon. I
wanted to have everything done and ready, so all that was left was to
send her to school the next morning with the final signed paper.
Because I was scheduled off for Tuesday to take care of these things,
not on Wednesday.


But nooooo. They would not look at one single thing, not pull one
single form for me to begin to fill out. Because I did not have the
discharge paper. And were they going to be there so I could bring it
by that afternoon? Of course not! They were all leaving at the same
time I would be in my meeting getting the form.


Fine.


I get the form and we go to the school the next morning. I am
expecting it to take an hour or so to fill out forms and talk to the
counselor. But noooo. The discharge paper that the program gave me
was not the same type of form that the school wanted. They have to
fax a request to the charter school that the program uses and wait for
them to fax back. I am not allowed to go pick up anything and hand
deliver it. I might change some information or forge something.


So we wait. And wait. And wait. And then, then we wait some more.


Finally, I gave up and just left. I made sure the lady knew I was
leaving and that she had my cell phone number and that she would call
me when she received the paper, because I would come right up.


No call. I ended up missing the whole day of work because I kept
thinking they would call at any minute.


The next morning I decide to take Surly Teenager to work with me.
Then when the school calls with the paper, I will run back there and
go back to work. We stop by the school first, just to make sure they
remember I am waiting for that fax and that they still have my phone
number.


But noooo. Because guess what? They got the fax THE AFTERNOON BEFORE
BUT DID NOT CALL ME. I saw it laying there when she was signing off
on the papers for us to take up to the counselor. It had come in at
1:47 pm, about 2 hours after we had left. AND NO ONE CALLED ME.

* * * * *

Case #2: Our web hosting company
We own a domain. We don't really have any content on it, but we use
the associated email accounts, and host some info for my mother-in-law
and the Abilene Music Teachers Association (or something like that).
We use it mainly for hosting pictures when we sell something on ebay
or Craigslist.


It is set up to bill annually to Hubby's credit card. His card expired
this year and he had to update them with the new expiration date.
Which he neglected to do in a timely manner. They suspend the
account. Which knocked out the emails. Plus, they have 2 different
systems and even though an email change was given in one place, Hubby
didn't know about the second one. So we did not receive one single
notice that said Hey, you need to update your card info, or that said
Hey, your account is about to be suspended. I know that they aren't
required to give such notices, but wouldn't that be considered common
courtesy and just good business practice?


Hubby finally got all the information in all the right places. They
billed us. Two days later they still had not unsuspended the account.
Hubby had to send them an angry email to get the account back to
normal.

* * * * *

And don't even get me started on unethical cell phone company
manager's, who will fudge birthdays, to get a sales commission, and
get an underage teenager in the midst of a manic episode, to sign a 2
year contract so she can have texting, even though she has no credit
history because she has NO JOB, and can't pay their monthly $69 bill.


It is amazing how polite and helpful some people will get when
confronted by an extremely pissed off Mom that is ready to come across
the counter and rip them a new one. They apologize and issue refunds
and everything.


But you shouldn't have to go to that extreme in the first place. What
happened to the mind set of "the customer is always right"?

No comments: