Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hubby Guest Post- $18 tool box

I was toolbox shopping today, and I got the best $18 toolbox ever. 

At Lowes I found one I liked for $36.98, but it was dented on the bottom.  It was the old model, obviously everyone kept skipping the dented one, but the new one had a odd looking light grey and blue handle, the drawers were updated with plastic coated rails which I guess made them smoother, but also much harder to open and close.  

The new model was also heavier, but somehow flimsier on the top.  When you picked it up by the handle to top seemed to pop in and out like an old oil can.  To top it off the latches where smaller and weaker than the old ones.  

I hated, however, to pay full price for the dented model, which actually made it hard to open the bottom drawer all the way.  I took a cue from Dave Ramsey, who despite being a millionaire, asks for open box or scratch and dent items when he shops, always asks for a deal.

I took both toolboxes up front and explained I actually preferred the old model, and if they had one that was not damaged I would gladly pay full price, so can I get a discount.  The customer service rep asked the manager, and he said is $18 all right?  Sure, over half off for a dent which I was able to hammer out after removing the drawers?  Heck yes!  I forgot to take a before picture of the dent, and it had been a floor model for a while, it also had a bent eyelet where the hasp closes for a padlock, I was able to straighten that out no problem. 

Taking a cue from my awesome father, I drilled holes and riveted the socket rails into place.  I have my wrenches and screwdrivers in "All Purpose" bags except for the ones that would not fit.  You can get "All Purpose" bags at Wal-Mart for like $5 and they come in 8 or more colors, they rock.  I also swapped the larger drawer and smaller drawer top to bottom.  





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,

What a bargain; it was easily the original $36!!

Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Certainly, certainly.

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?