Saturday, April 25, 2009

Still Not Doing Anything Half Way

When she decides to go out of whack, she really goes.

Surly Teenager has to have blood drawn to check levels for one of her new meds.  They did a complete work up on the last draw.  I got the call with the results Friday afternoon.

At least this one I was half prepared for.  Nearly everyone on my side of the family has hypothyroidism.  I have been taking pills for it since the late '90's, my sister about 5 years before that, and my mom since sometime in the, what?, late 80's or so.  And then there is also my mom's sister and both her kid's.  

So I assumed that eventually Lazy and Surly would have it too.  Just not so soon.

Her TSH level was at 13.6.  Normal is a debated scale, but generally 0.3 - 4 is considered good.

They are going to retest on Monday just to be sure it was not a lab error.  But I went ahead and broke the news to Surly Teenager on the way home Friday.

She just rolled her eyes, sighed and said resignedly, "Another pill."

2 comments:

~Gretchen~ said...

i hate the feeling of 'another pill'

poor kid.

Anonymous said...

Good morning,

Indeed HypoThyroidism is all too common. Babushka used to take thyroid pills for the same condition, and then one day an all-knowing physician deemed that her condition was 'only borderline' and thus he would no longer write a prescription. Her weight slowly and relentlessly began to increase. Thanks, Doc.

Hugs to all ~ Grandpa