Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ACK! Cut Backs

Layoffs.  AGAIN.

 

The Company announced they are going to start making cut backs in about 4-6 weeks.

 

Am I safe?  Who knows.

 

It would be nice to think that my 22 years of service counted for SOMETHING, but according to Company policy, I don’t even have job security.  And why don’t I qualify for job security after all those years?  Because for 2 ½ of those 22 years, I was Management.  If I had been classified as “clerical support” for the whole time, I would now have job security.

 

And severance pay?  At 22 years I should qualify for 13 weeks pay, UNLESS the layoff is due to a “special situation”.  And do they define what constitutes a “special situation”?  No they do not.  Because then they couldn’t make up whatever rules they want to fit whatever situation they want.


They let you COBRA your insurance for 18 months after, but apparently they don't really want you to do it.  Because if they did, they wouldn't charge $942 a month for it!

 

Maybe they will lower the retirement age.  A LOT.

1 comment:

~Gretchen~ said...

when dowlan's company folds in the next few weeks, we'll abandon ship here and come live with you guys. Trey can support all 9 of us, right?